Hummus, which is Arabic حمُّص for ‘chickpeas’. Chickpeas and seasame were widely known across the ancient Mediterranean and Middle Eastern worlds and the former in particular was one of the earliest crops cultivated in Mesopotamia. In this post, I want to show you how to make a vegetarian dish consisting of ‘Hummus with Tahini’ which is a paste of ground sesame seeds. It is delicious beyond belief.
Hummus with Tahini Ingredients
Ingredients needed in order to serve 4 people
100g or 4 oz of dried chick-peas.
4 tablespoons olive oil.
1 large clove garlic.
4 tablespoons of lemon juice.
4 tablespoons of tahini paste.
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon of paprika
A few spigs of fresh parsley and lemon wedges, to garnish.
How to make Hummus with Tahini
In 6 easy steps
1. The very first thing to do is put the chick-peas into a large deep bowl and then cover with plenty of cold water. Leave this to soak for several hours, preferably leaving it overnight. It’s ideal to plan ahead therefore if you are expecting guests the next day.
2. Drain and rinse the chick-peas, then put them into a saucepan and cover with fresh cold water. Bring to the boil, then gently simmer them for around an hour until tender. If the chick-peas become too dry during the cooking process then add more water. It’s important not to let them dry out.
3. Drain the contents of the pan but keep the liquid. Leave to cool.
4. Keep a dozen chick-peas for garnish and put the remainder into a blender with half of the olive oil, the garlic, tahini paste, salt & pepper and if you so desire, some optional lemon juice. Blend to a smooth puree whilst adding some of the liquid kept behind from stage 2 if necessary. You want to try and get the consistency of thick mayonnaise.
5. Place in the fridge for a minimum of 60 minutes.
6. When serving, spoon the mixture into a shallow dish or 4 small individual ones. With the remaining olive oil, pour it into a small bowl and add the paprika to make a smooth paste. Once this is done, drizzle some hummus over the top and garnish with the 12 whole chick-peas, lemon wedges and parsley springs. Serve the dish chilled.